[ntp:questions] What is the mean of below output?
David Woolley
2018-08-06 15:17:47 UTC
3- Is there is any way through i can determine that what is the currently difference between my local system and ntp server.
No. If you could, NTP could modify the local time to make the value zero.
William Unruh
2018-08-06 14:48:05 UTC
Hi
I am facing time drifting problem in my linux , i install ntp. first of all i am unable to execute ntpstat command as it is saying command not found.
Then i execute ntpq -p and can see below ouuput
remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter
time.tritn.com .INIT. 16 u - 1024 0 0.000 0.000 0.000
ntp1.wiktel.com .INIT. 16 u - 1024 0 0.000 0.000 0.000
clocka.ntpjs.or .INIT. 16 u - 1024 0 0.000 0.000 0.000
ntp.your.org .INIT. 16 u - 1024 0 0.000 0.000 0.000
chilipepper.can .INIT. 16 u - 1024 0 0.000 0.000 0.000
But i am unable to understand what is the mean of this output.
It means that none of those refclocks has ever been successfully used. You are
not synched at all.
Is that mean my system time is synced with ntp and at current time there is no time delay in my local linux.
2- May i execute the ntp every time or it will run at back end automatically.
It depends on how you set things up. You do not say which version of Linux,
how you installed it, what your networking is, etc.
Local time: Mon 2018-08-06 07:15:02 UTC
Universal time: Mon 2018-08-06 07:15:02 UTC
Timezone: Etc/UTC (UTC, +0000)
NTP enabled: yes
NTP synchronized: no
As you can see, ntp is not synchronized.
RTC in local TZ: no
DST active: n/a
3- Is there is any way through i can determine that what is the currently difference between my local system and ntp server.
Once you get it working, sure. Look at the logs.
Please help if someone have idea.
William Unruh
2018-08-06 21:52:20 UTC
Post by David Woolley
3- Is there is any way through i can determine that what is the currently difference between my local system and ntp server.
No. If you could, NTP could modify the local time to make the value zero.
That is of course what it tries to do, without jumping the local time (which
would be bad). Of course the whole chain (Your program, your network hardware,
the network, various routers etc along the way, the remote machine hardware,
the remote software and back again) introduces noise, so you do not know that
the remote ntp server's time is. But in the logs it will tell you what the
difference is between the local time and the estimate of the remote time is
obtained from that noisy chain. That is the best you can do.
Of course you could attach your ssytem to gps, and get the remote gps server's
time to 10s or 100s of nanosecond accuracy. And yo ucould use that to see how
far your system is off the remote server, If you could borrow a gps, you could
test your system. If you bought a gps, then the best idea would be to use it
as your server, and get your machine disciplined to sub microsecond accuracy.

From network servers, you can expect 10s of microseconds (nearby servers--
like in the same building) to millisec for distant servers.
For gps, it depends on how you feed the gps into your system. Here you can get
100s of nanoseconds to a few microseconds using chrony.
Thomas Laus
2018-08-06 11:59:35 UTC
Hi
I am facing time drifting problem in my linux , i install ntp. first of all i am unable to execute ntpstat command as it is saying command not found.
Then i execute ntpq -p and can see below ouuput
remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter
time.tritn.com .INIT. 16 u - 1024 0 0.000 0.000 0.000
ntp1.wiktel.com .INIT. 16 u - 1024 0 0.000 0.000 0.000
clocka.ntpjs.or .INIT. 16 u - 1024 0 0.000 0.000 0.000
ntp.your.org .INIT. 16 u - 1024 0 0.000 0.000 0.000
chilipepper.can .INIT. 16 u - 1024 0 0.000 0.000 0.000
But i am unable to understand what is the mean of this output.
Is that mean my system time is synced with ntp and at current time there is no time delay in my local linux.
This billboard shows that none of your ntp servers are reachable from your EC2
instance. Try turning off all of the crypto configuration. You will want to make
things operate with a simple configuration first and then add features to a
working system. Use just the suggested server:

pool pool.ntp.org

As your only one and not use the Amazon pool to start. If it works and the
associations look good, then there is something incorrect on the EC2 side.
2- May i execute the ntp every time or it will run at back end automatically.
Local time: Mon 2018-08-06 07:15:02 UTC
Universal time: Mon 2018-08-06 07:15:02 UTC
Timezone: Etc/UTC (UTC, +0000)
NTP enabled: yes
NTP synchronized: no
RTC in local TZ: no
DST active: n/a
NTP is not working on this instance. Get it to syncronize first and then ask
your questions/

Tom
--
Public Keys:
PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1
GnuPG KeyID = 0x620836CF
Thomas Laus
2018-08-06 13:21:29 UTC
This time i made some changes and i can see below output at this time i am using aws time sync ip on my ntp.conf
ntpa -p
output -
remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter
*169.254.169.123 10.25.3.142 3 u 350 512 377 0.225 0.372 0.120
pugot.canonical .STEP. 16 u - 1024 0 0.000 0.000 0.000
That billboard indicates that your ntp server has reached and synchronized with
169.254.169.123. The other server 'pugot.canonical' has not been seen by
your instance. It's reach number is 0.

You have a good start on your ntp operation. You should have a minimum of 4
servers for good timekeeping so that a bad poll reply can be out voted by
the other servers. The pool server directive is designed to give you a fair
number of good servers automatically and will dynamically replace them as
needed. One 'pool' directive is all that is required. It will be fanned
out at the other end to supply a minimum of 4 IP addresses for your server
to synchronize.

Tom
--
Public Keys: