[ntp:questions] Manycast Server Not Answering Manycast Client Requests
Potter, Timothy CCS
2018-08-23 16:59:05 UTC
I am testing out the manycast feature of NTP. I have a situation where one of my machines, acting as the main manycast server, does not reply to incoming manycast client requests. Using tcpdump I see the client requests coming into this machine, but they go unanswered. However, once I restart the ntpd daemon on the manycast server, it will almost immediately begin replying to these requests.

I am using ntp version 4.2.8p8. The ntp.conf file on my manycast server looks like this:

driftfile /usr/local/etc/ntp.drift
disable auth

# NTP clients will also act like a server once they sync
manycastserver ff0e::101

# Update the realtime clock and override its default
# stratum of 0.
server time.google.com prefer
server 127.127.1.0 #Real Time Clock
server 127.127.1.0 #Real Time Clock
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

I see that the ntp service is syncing with time.google.com:

remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter
LOCAL(0) .LOCL. 10 l - 64 0 0.000 0.000 0.000
*time2.google.co .GOOG. 1 u 140 1024 377 71.678 -2.836 2.511

The ntp.conf file on the ntp manycast client machines look like this:

driftfile /usr/local/etc/ntp.drift
disable auth

# NTP clients will also act like a server once they sync
manycastserver ff0e::101
manycastclient ff0e::101 iburst

# Enable syncing with servers on the same stratum. Used for client machines
tos cohort 0

But they are not getting synced with the manycast server:

***@Node00b01973d7d4:~# ntpq -p
remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter
ff0e::101 .ACST. 16 a - 64 0 0.000 0.000 0.002

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?